Sunday, September 30, 2012

Student Prediction Market

I'm hoping to run a predicts market with first year students where I get them to predict the enevtual pass rate for modules they are taking. Knowing this information in advance isn't very useful, but knowing what the students think it might be is. I imagine that if it works a lecturer might start a new topic and see a sudden drop in the share price. That might tell the lecturer that the students find if challenging. Or after an exam the price might go up. That might suggest that the students had been worried by it, but on seeing it felt better. My prediction is that very little will happen. I am expecting it to be a very thin market, but we will see. It's worth a go.

I have some lecturers and the head of department on board. I just need some more cover in case it doesn't work out.

I have tested Inkling.com's online service and I think it will do the job. Inkling seemed interested in the experiment too, and quoted me a very good price.

Just a few ore hurdles to clear now and we should be good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment